Friday, November 20, 2009

The Dead of Night by: John Marsden (2nd in series)

"Ellie! Don't shoot me!


I lowered it.


"Where'd you get that thing?"


"Over there," I said, pointing, getting the shakes a bit, but putting the rifle down carefully. Robyn seemed so controlled, and I felt like I was on the brink of completely losing control.


Robyn lost her smile suddenly; she ran to the soldier and knelt beside him.


"What happened. Did you shoot him?"


"Hit him. With a rock. And a branch."


"God, I think he's pretty bad."


"He has to die, Robyn," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "If he doesn't, he'll get his friends and they'll come looking for us. And the first thing they'll do is to climb that tree. They could track us right home, into Hell."

Let no stranger intrude here, no invader trespass. This was ours, and this we defend.

Australia has been invaded. Nothing is as it was. Six teenagers are living out their nightmare in the sanctuary of a hidden valley called Hell. Alone, they make their own rules, protect what is theirs, and struggle for courage and hope in a world changed forever.

Seeking supplies, allies, and information the friends make forays into enemy territory drawing on nerve and resourcefulness they never even knew they had. As the risks bcome even greater, so too do the sacrifices they must make.

No comments: