Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Burning For Revenge by: John Marsden (5th in series)

So the moment had come. All those careful plans Colonel Finley and Ursula had made, so carefully, so long ago, so far away--they came to nothing. Now it was up to us, using a plan we'd made up on the spur of the moment, using our own brains and initiative, and a lot of luck. Funny, the Kiwis had only wanted us to come on this trip as guides; they thought because we were young we wouldn't be much use. Even though we'd done so much already, they thought it was all a fluke. You could tell by the way they looked at us, and the way they talked. Like they knew so much more than us.

Well, here we were, inside the airfield, about to inflict major damage. I just hoped they'd build a big memorial to us after this was over.

We reached the entrance of the lane. Going into it I felt the strongest sense of danger I'd had since the war started. I don't know why I didn't stop right there. I could have called out but it would have been noisy. I could have stopped where I was but I didn't want to be separated from them. I could have...

From Hell to Stratton isn't an easy trip, especially when the enemy's headquarters lie somewhere in between. And that's exactly where Ellie and her friends unwittingly find themselves--smack in the middle of the Wirrawee Airfield. With only five of them against hundreds of armed soldiers, escape seems like a suicide mission. The odds aren't good, and Kevin's nervous breakdown isn't helping matters.

No comments: